Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Yet Another Modest Proposal

There are those who believe abortion is murder and those who don't. I don't, but then I can tell a clump of cells from a kid; other's didn't pay attention is science class. Granting them sincerity (and overlooking the fact that the Bible indicates a child isn't alive until it draws its first breath), but finding it distasteful that the want me to pay for someone else to have sex while sticking me with the bill for the kid for 18 years, I propose a fairer solution.

Lets buy and sell kids on an exchange.

Here's how it would work. You can invest by buy a certificate for a kid. Your "investment" goes to the mom and the medical care and you can to pay for the kid until someone buys (adopts) him at market price or until he graduates from 2 years of college. You don't get to pick the kid, but we'll have mutual funds that allow you to invest in certain types of kids just so you can say that you have "gone long in white males."

People and institutions who believe abortion is wrong can invest and never expect a return. I could invest and hope to make a quick buck now that I'm flipping burgers rather than houses.

Either way - I'm not paying to force someone to have a kid they can't support. And those who believe in something have a legitimate way to influence the process without forcing a woman into a form of slavery. And the kid gets a life with a partial college education. Everyone wins.

Of course it sounds horrible to buy and sell kids. And it is. But its better than killing them off or forcing them into a life of poverty and suffering for someone elses beliefs.

Best of all - I don't have to pay the freight on someone else's religion.

No comments: