Monday, March 17, 2008

Goodbye to my old friend, Buddy.

As bad as the economy and state of the nation is, today I just can't write about it. Today I lost a good friend and one of my best friends lost his best friend.

My best friend K. rescued Buddy, a gaunt Great Dane over 10 years ago. He was so thin it was touch and go at first. But as he gained weight, the show dog physique and regal personality came to life. Buddy had an impish sense of humor - one day snagging the potato off my plate as I walked by and walking off as if nothing had happened. But he also had a great big heart, taking care of K and his family like they were his pack. And they were. And so was I, even though I only visited once or twice a week.

Buddy and our dog, Ellie, used to play from morning to night. Ellie was a pup, a Shar Pei mix, with boundless energy and sprit. Buddy played with her like she was his pup, teaching her but never dominating. Ellie looked forward to playdates with Buddy from the moment she started heading to the car. They would run and jump and race all day. She'd be so tired the next day from playing that her legs trembled as she walked, but she never let it show in front of him. But mention his name and she would perk up, trembling legs and all, and be game for a rematch.

Buddy lived a full life for a Dane. He was 12 years old and only started slowing down about 6 months ago. His Dane sister Mattie, and the new puppy Tyson, and even the cat Xeno looked out for him as his body gave out, such was the respect that they had for Buddy. His people did every thing they could to make him comfortable in his last days. He passed on peacefully.

I'm not a religious person, but the closest I get is believing that if their is an afterlife, our pets show up and testify about the person we were when we die. Buddy will have many good things to say about his family, who rescued him and the rest of his pack. And he rescued us with his love and friendship and loyalty in return.

Thank you, Buddy for being a good friend and taking care of my friends and your family. We will all remember you fondly and with love.

No comments: